PostGIS extends the capabilities of the PostgreSQL relational database by adding support storing, indexing and querying geographic data.
PostGIS features include:
- Spatial Data Storage: Store different types of spatial data such as points, lines, polygons, and multi-geometries, in both 2D and 3D data.
- Spatial Indexing: Quickly search and retrieve spatial data based on its location.
- Spatial Functions: A wide range of spatial functions that allow you to filter and analyze spatial data, measuring distances and areas, intersecting geometries, buffering, and more.
- Geometry Processing: Tools for processing and manipulating geometry data, such as simplification, conversion, and generalization.
- Raster Data Support: Storage and processing of raster data, such as elevation data and weather data.
- Geocoding and Reverse Geocoding: Functions for geocoding and reverse geocoding.
- Integration: Access and work with PostGIS using third party tools such as QGIS, GeoServer, ArcGIS, Tableau, and MapServer.